1 Which of the following foods has been the cause of dangerous E. coli outbreaks in 2017, 2018 and 2019?
- Romaine lettuce
In the last week of November 2019, the CDC issued a food safety alert stating it is investigating a multistate outbreak of E. coli linked to romaine lettuce harvested from the Salinas, California, region. The E. coli strain causing the outbreak is genetically indistinguishable from lettuce-related outbreaks that occurred in 2017 and 2018. Learn more.
2 Which of the following has been identified as a significant contributor to the decline of songbirds?
- Neonicotinoid insecticides
Neonicotinoid insecticides affect migration behavior of songbirds by affecting their feeding patterns and fat stores. The chemicals act as a rapid appetite suppressant. Learn more.
- Urban sprawl
- Growing wild cat population
- Climate change
3 Which of the following statements is accurate?
- Whole hemp oil is illegal in the U.S.
- It is illegal to sell CBD isolates as a nutritional supplement, even if it’s derived from hemp
Whole hemp oil can be legally sold across the U.S., even if it contains naturally occurring CBD, but CBD isolates cannot be sold as a nutritional supplement, even if it’s derived from legal hemp. Learn more.
- Cannabis is legal in all U.S. states
- It is legal to sell CBD as a nutritional supplement, provided it’s derived from hemp and not cannabis
4 Which of the following lifestyle parameters was recently identified as being correlated with an increased risk for low bone density and osteoporosis?
- Excessive sun exposure (eight hours or more per day)
- Insufficient walking (one hour or less per day)
- Lack of sleep (five hours or less per night)
According to recent research, lack of sleep can impact your bone density and risk of osteoporosis. Women who slept five hours or less per night had lower bone mineral density than those who slept seven hours or more, and were 22% more likely to have osteoporosis of the hip and 28% more likely to have osteoporosis of the spine. Learn more.
- Excessive sitting (12 hours or more per day)
5 Which of the following has been shown to provide unique benefits to elite and nonelite athletes by protecting DNA, RNA, proteins, cell membranes and mitochondria from damage?
- Vitamin A
- Medium-chained triglycerides (MCTs)
- Molecular hydrogen
Molecular hydrogen can beneﬁt athletic performance, as it rapidly reaches subcellular compartments via passive diffusion and protect DNA, RNA, proteins, cell membranes and mitochondria from damage. Learn more.
6 Groundbreaking research shows that animals deprived of play during childhood develop which of the following problems?
- Underdeveloped prefrontal cortex, a brain region responsible for impulse control and decision making
The brains of play-deprived rats are underdeveloped in the prefrontal cortex, which is responsible for impulse control and decision making. They also have disorganized neuronal growth and irregular neuronal cells. Learn more.
- Exaggerated aggression
- Self-harming behavior
- Altered bone growth; legs getting shorter and bones more brittle
7 Which of the following supplements has unique antioxidant effects, selectively improving the redox status of cells whenever and wherever needed?
- Vitamin C
- Molecular hydrogen
Molecular hydrogen (H2) is a gas with very unique and selective antioxidant effects. It works primarily by improving the redox status of the cell when needed. Learn more.
- Vitamin E