1 A meat product can be labeled “Product of the USA” when:
- The animal has been raised in the U.S., regardless of where it’s slaughtered and processed
- The beef undergoes processing, even if minimal, in a U.S. facility
The USDA allows multinational meatpackers to label imported beef as “Product of USA” as long as it has undergone processing in the U.S., even if minimal. This misrepresentation has significant ramifications for American farmers, who have to compete with lower priced imports. Learn more.
- The animal has been raised and slaughtered in the U.S.
- The beef undergoes major processing in a U.S. facility, such as being made into a ready-to-heat meal
2 Which of the following companies is currently being investigated for antitrust violations by 50 state attorneys general?
Fifty state attorneys general launched an antitrust investigation into Google’s advertising business in September 2019; they are now expanding their probe to include Google’s search and Android businesses as well. Learn more.
3 Which of the following variables regulate the amount of corruption found in a given system?
- Monopoly on the supply of a product or service
- The level of discretion enjoyed by suppliers
- The supplier’s accountability to others
- All of the above
The amount of corruption found in any given system is dependent on three variables: monopoly on the supply of a product or service; the level of discretion enjoyed by suppliers; and the supplier’s accountability to others. Learn more.
4 While excess body fat can age your brain faster, leading to declines in fluid intelligence, increased amounts of this are protective to your brain:
Those with higher amounts of abdominal fat had worse fluid intelligence with age, while those with greater muscle mass were more protected against such declines. Learn more.
- Blood sugar
5 Women who can exercise vigorously experience a significantly lower risk of:
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Mortality from heart disease, cancer and other causes
Women who can exercise vigorously experience a significantly lower risk of mortality from heart disease, cancer and other causes. Learn more.
- Night blindness
- Rheumatoid arthritis
6 Rules regarding chemical usage when growing conventional seeds are laxer than they are for conventional food crops because:
- Seeds are harder to grow
- Wildlife isn’t likely to eat conventional seeds
- Seeds aren’t technically considered to be a food product
What’s more, Stearns notes that choosing organic seeds is very important, as while there are rules regarding chemical usage for commercial food crops, they’re more lax when it comes to growing conventional seeds, which aren’t technically a food product. Learn more.
- Seeds are often open-pollinated
7 Which of the following types of resistance training helps prevent and treat sarcopenia (age-related loss of muscle mass) most effectively?
- Conventional heavy weight training
- Super-slow weight training
- Bodyweight exercises
- Blood flow restriction training
Blood flow restriction (BFR) training may be an ideal muscle-strengthening strategy for most people, but especially for the elderly and the untrained, as it requires just a fraction of the weight you’d typically use in conventional resistance training. BFR also creates other metabolic adaptations making it one of the most effective strategies for preventing and treating sarcopenia. Learn more.